James Dennin, Kapitall: We decided to take a look at some of most-watched stocks that are reporting earnings this week.
January is prime time for stocks reporting earnings. But the first month of 2014 has so far been a reminder that picking stocks is supposed to be challenging. While there are still some analysts who see opportunities for growth in the new year, many seem to agree that with valuations as high as they are, the proof will be in the pudding.
Which means that earnings are more important now than ever – not just as an indicator about how your particular investments are doing, but as an overall bellwether for the economy as a whole.
Read more from Kapitall: 3 Highly Liquid Stocks Under $10 to Hedge Against Emerging Market FearsSo with that in mind, we decided to build a list of stocks reporting earnings this week. We wanted to see if company earnings are aligning with the market's expectations, so we decided to look at companies that Wall Street often assumes will do well. We screened that list for companies with the highest projected earnings per share growth for next year, of at least 25%. The list includes some growth plays you'd expect like Facebook (FB) and Amazon (AMZN) as well a more surprising stock - American Airlines (AAL) – which is probably on the list due to its recent merger with US Airways. Any surprises that come out as these companies report, for good or bad, may have a large effect on their share price. Click on the interactive chart below to view data over time. Do you see investment opportunities among these stocks reporting earnings this week? Use the list below to begin your own analysis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV