Swift reported fourth-quarter operating revenue increased to $1.075 billion from $1.047 billion in the same period one year earlier. Its operating revenue for the full year increased to $4.118 billion in 2013 from $3.976 billion in 2012. Swift's diluted earnings per share were 32 cents in the fourth quarter, down from 39 cents in the same period one year earlier; however, its diluted EPS rose to $1.09 in 2013, up from $1 in 2012.
Adjusted earnings dropped to 36 cents in the fourth quarter from 41 cents in the same period a year earlier, though the company attributes this mostly to a six-cent increase in insurance and claims expense, according to its report. The full-year adjusted EPS rose to $1.23 in 2013 from $1.11 in 2012.
TheStreet Ratings team rates SWIFT TRANSPORTATION CO as a "buy" with a ratings score of B. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation:"We rate SWIFT TRANSPORTATION CO (SWFT) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, revenue growth, good cash flow from operations and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, SWFT's share price has jumped by 113.48%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, SWFT should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 5.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 4.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Net operating cash flow has increased to $135.52 million or 45.10% when compared to the same quarter last year. The firm also exceeded the industry average cash flow growth rate of 7.54%.
- SWIFT TRANSPORTATION CO's earnings per share declined by 12.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, SWIFT TRANSPORTATION CO increased its bottom line by earning $0.95 versus $0.64 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.23 versus $0.95).
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Road & Rail industry and the overall market, SWIFT TRANSPORTATION CO's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SWFT Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.