NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As the polar vortex continues to engulf the U.S., TheStreet's Brittany Umar is with Real Money Pro contributor Chris Versace, discussing how investors can warm up their portfolios.
Although D.R. Horton (DHI) reported an 86% increase in its year-over-year profits this morning, that doesn't mean the cold weather won'thave an effect going forward, Versace said.
That's because the company reported results for the quarter that ended at the end of December, and the real cold didn't come until January.
So how can investors take advantage?Versace suggested that they look toward the utility sector to benefit, as more and more consumers will crank up the heat in their homes and apartments. And although they could buy an individual name like Pepco Holdings (POM) or Consolidated Edison (ED), he suggested they buy the Utilities Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLU) instead. He even suggested that some investors may feel comfortable buying a February or March expiration call option, to "spice it up." -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV