[video] Quick Take: Lame Duck Bernanke Presides at Final Meeting
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- This will be the last Federal Open Market Committee meeting for Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke, before Janet Yellen assumes the role as the new Fed leader. TheStreet's Joe Deaux is with Ronald Filler, professor at New York Law School, to discuss the transition.
Filler said that the monetary policy Yellen works with will be the same one that Bernanke has masterfully implemented over the past several years.
Filler did say, however, that he is unsure how Yellen would handle the tapering of the current asset purchasing plan. In December, the Fed announced it would reduce its bond purchases to $75 billion per month from $85 billion per month.
"It will be interesting" to see how she handles the stimulus plan in the coming months and years, Filler said. It's also unknown whether Bernanke will use tomorrow's announcement to further reduce the tapering amount.Yellen will be the first female to run the organization, something that's good for both the country and the Fed, Filler concluded. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV