IBM (IBM) might as well rename itself "Clarence Rutherford, Inc." as it was nothing but lumpy, and just like Lumpy flunked sophomore year, it looks like the CEO might have done the same. No bonus for those grades.
But you want to know which stocks are going higher? They're the ones that had no lumpiness at all, just terrific linearity, meaning things just got better and better. United Technologies (UTX) and Honeywell (HON) stand out as companies with no lumpiness at all. Just the opposite. Momentum is building at both.
Procter & Gamble (PG) and Kimberly Clark (KMB) saw no lumpiness, and the former had a definitively strong month-to-month-to-month trajectory. In fact, P&G might be the company that came into the year with the most momentum, and its share-take and organic growth are nothing short of superb. That stock could be going much higher.
As we go through the rest of this earnings period, think of Clarence Rutherford. You hear his nickname on the call, the stock goes down. You don't? Chances are, the stock's going higher, or when we have an emerging-market squall the stock is just a plain old buy.At the time of publication, Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, was long AAPL, GE, and PG.
Editor's Note: This article was originally published at 7:19 a.m. EST on Real Money on Jan. 28.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV