NEW YORK, Jan. 28, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The No. 1 fear of young people? Paying for college. According to a poll by Young Money, more than three in four students feel they don't know enough about personal finance. That's why DoSomething.org and H&R Block Dollars & Sense are joining forces for the second year to help by giving teens personal finance tips through a hilarious campaign called "Would You Rather."
"Would You Rather" uses an interactive SMS text message experience that asks teens to choose between multiple penny-pinching situations. Since, on average, teens send more than 3,300 texts a month and text messages have a 99 percent open rate, it's an effective medium to reach young people.
Beginning January 28, teens can challenge their friends to the experience and engage in a conversation around crazy ways to save money. For example, participants will be asked, "Would you rather A) take a date to the drive thru; or B) pick your date up on your Razor scooter?" The experience is followed by action steps and tips to get teens thinking about and saving for their financial future.
To help raise awareness of the issue and encourage young people to participate in the campaign, actor Justin Long recorded a public service announcement. The PSA can be viewed here."I love this campaign because the situations are hilarious and it makes me want to learn how to save some cash," said Justin Long. "My favorite scenario: What would you rather do to save money? Only buy used underwear from a thrift shop or never wear underwear? Guess which one I picked…" Together, DoSomething.org and H&R Block are making an "adult" topic more accessible for young people.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV