~ Third Quarter Sales Increase 14% to a Record $216.7 Million ~ ~ Third Quarter Net Income Increases 36% to a Record $15.3 Million; EPS of $.47 vs $.35 Prior Year Ahead of the Company's Estimated Range of $.41 to $.46 ~ ~ Increases Estimated Fiscal 2014 EPS Range to $1.63 to $1.66 from Previous Range of $1.58 to $1.65 ~
ROCHESTER, N.Y., Jan. 28, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Monro Muffler Brake, Inc. (Nasdaq:MNRO), a leading provider of automotive undercar repair and tire services, today announced financial results for its third quarter ended December 28, 2013.
Third Quarter ResultsSales for the third quarter of fiscal 2014 increased 13.8% to a record $216.7 million as compared to $190.4 million for the third quarter of fiscal 2013. The sales increase for the third quarter was due primarily to an increase in sales from new stores and a comparable store sales increase of .3%. Comparable store sales increased approximately 2% for brakes and 1% for tires, while comparable store sales decreased approximately 1% for maintenance, front end/shocks and exhaust, and 4% for alignments. Gross margin improved to 38.0% in the third quarter from 36.6% in the prior year due to reduced product costs and payroll control, as well as leverage of distribution and occupancy costs, which overcame a sales mix shift to the tire category primarily related to recently-acquired stores. Total operating expenses were $55.4 million, or 25.6% of sales, as compared with $50.8 million, or 26.7% of sales, for the same period of the prior year. The decrease in operating expenses as a percent of sales is due to leverage from higher overall sales and focused cost control. Operating income for the quarter increased 43.0% to $26.9 million from $18.8 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2013. Interest expense was $3.2 million as compared to $1.5 million in the third quarter of fiscal 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV