Like him or not, though, he and his tactics have been effective over the years and his publicly traded partnership, Icahn Enterprises (IEP), has delivered outstanding returns to shareholders.
Except with its Apple (AAPL) investment.
Icahn's announcement of a $1.5 billion stake in the company came via Twitter last August, when Apple was trading around $450 per share. The initial investment came as a result of research and advice provided by Carl's Jr -- Icahn's son Brett. Apple's stock immediately popped 5% and continued levitating above $500, all the way to its recent high of $570 on Dec. 23. Icahn's seal of approval was one thing -- it put an imaginary floor under the stock for the nervous nellies -- but his promise to strong-arm Tim Cook into sharing the company's cash hoard with investors added additional appeal.
It just hasn't worked. While Tim Cook and his board are under no obligation to listen to Carl Icahn (he owns less than 1% of outstanding shares), I do believe their reaction is indicative of a more serious problem.
The message being clearly sent by Cook and interpreted by Icahn and other shareholders is: "You are not that important." Do you want to own the stock of a company whose share price is not its top priority?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV