The data storage maker wasn't so lucky. Investors turned against the stock shortly after the release of weaker-than-expected second-quarter financials.
In extended trading, shares tumbled 6.5% to $54.30.
For its second quarter ended December, the company recorded net income of $1.32 a share, six cents short of expectations, according to analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters. Revenue of $3.53 billion saw a 3.8% year-over-year decrease and missed consensus by around $30 million.On a quarter-by-quarter basis, net earnings grew 2.3% and revenue edged 1.2% higher. "Seagate's results in the December quarter reflect discipline in managing the profitability of our business and strong operational execution," said CEO Steve Luczo in a statement. The board approved a quarterly cash dividend of 43 cents a share, payable to shareholders of record at close of business Feb. 10. TheStreet Ratings team rates SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY PLC as a Buy with a ratings score of A. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY PLC (STX) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and notable return on equity. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had sub par growth in net income."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV