#DigitalSkeptic: Sun Sets on Sundance -- and Independent Film
But The Canyons grossed just $59,000, barely over a third of its Kickstarter commitments.
Film hipsters would be making a bomb of Jack Carter proportions blaming this mega-flop on Lohan. Sundance founder Robert Redford's All Is Lost did a modest $8.6 million worldwide -- about a week's salary for the $75 million Tom Cruise earned on disaster pic War of the Worlds.
Real money this is not.
Telling the wrong story
The sense that today's independent motion picture industry is a facing Life of Pi-like self-delusion is confirmed emphatically by Hope. "Today's narrative is being shaped by video games and episodic TV more than they are by movies," he said. "It's almost as if we are trying to solve the wrong problem with the traditional multi-act movie model."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV