NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- On Wednesday one of big techs oldest titans, EMC (EMC), steps into the limelight and spills the beans about its earnings per share and revenue for the previous quarter.
Based on how its stock is doing, I'm sensing a decent chance of a disappointment on both of these important financial metrics. EMC closed at $25.35 Monday and is up less than 1% for the year to date.
EMC is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver IT as a service. Fundamental to this transformation is cloud computing. Its earnings release will be available on the EMC Investor Relations Web site.
Let me illustrate part of what EMC faces from its shareholders if the company doesn't beat on either or both EPS and revenue and offers optimistic guidance for the current quarter. To do this I want you to see this one-year chart which includes its diluted quarterly EPS for the past year.
EMC data by YCharts
Even though shares of EMC have held up pretty well in the face of the current global stock market correction, the stock has been locked in a trading range of just below $22 a share and $27.34 on the high side. While shareholders endure this they are being paid a paltry dividend that currently is less than 1.6%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV