NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- All three major U.S. indices are lower on Monday, with the Nasdaq leading the way. So is this the correction investors have been awaiting?
Mark Newton, chief market technician for Greywolf Equities, told TheStreet's Debra Borchardt that for now the current market pullback seems to only be short term. The broader trends are still intact and the indices are likely to bounce back in the next several weeks, which would represent a good buying opportunity.
Specifically, Newton suggested investors watch the 1,755 level in the S&P 500 for support, which are near the lows made in December.
Technology and financial stocks have reported relatively strong earnings reports, which is good news for the bulls, especially as valuation concerns come into the picture.Newton pointed out that fear has quickly escalated, evident by the 50% move higher in the CBOE Volatility Index (VIX.X) in the past week. Newton concluded that a rally into March or April seems logical, with equities underperforming in the May through September period. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV