Before the bell, the cruise line recorded fourth-quarter net income of 23 cents a share, a nickel higher than analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had anticipated. Revenue of $1.85 billion was 2.2% higher than the year-ago quarter, in line with expectations.
Full-year net income of $2.40 a share came in 5 cents higher than expected, while revenue of $7.96 was as expected. The company said the continued strong performance was due to strong close-in demand for Europe and Asia sailings combined with robust onboard revenue.
For fiscal 2014, the Miami-based business said it expects adjusted earnings between $3.20 and $3.40 a share, compared to analyst consensus of $3.17 a share.Tempering a stock rally, a Royal Caribbean cruise will return to port two days earlier than scheduled after around 600 passengers (or 19% of total capacity) fell ill with gastrointestinal issues. The ship pulled out from Cape Liberty, New Jersey on Tuesday last week and was due to return Friday. TheStreet Ratings team rates ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES LTD as a Buy with a ratings score of B. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES LTD (RCL) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, solid stock price performance and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had somewhat disappointing return on equity."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: RCL Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV