As the market goes, so goes E*Trade Financial (ETFC). E*Trade is a discount brokerage firm -- one of the first mainstream online discount brokers, in fact. Today, the firm's offerings reach beyond just retail brokerage: E*Trade is also a consumer bank, and provider of retirement services for large companies.
The decision to form a bank holding company was born out of necessity in 2008. The firm was leveraged to the brink, and it needed access to the cheap capital that Uncle Sam was providing that special class of financial services firms. But banking is extremely complementary to retail brokerage, and the cheap source of deposits for E*Trade should provide substantial return opportunities since it's able to make traditional loans as well as higher-interest margin loans for its investment customers.In a big way, E*Trade's legacy business is a leveraged bet on the stock market. As retail investors become more engaged by upside in the S&P (and their accounts grow), ETFC should be able to generate more commission revenues. The firm has a balance sheet that's in solid shape in 2014, and it's got extra downside protection from equities thanks to its banking arm. As interest rates get upwardly mobile, expect E*Trade's bottom line to grow materially.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV