BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Buckle your seatbelt: Volatility is on the rise this week. By Friday's close, the VIX Volatility Index was up more than 31%, a big spike considering the relatively low levels it's stayed at for the last year.
Last week's late selloff shoves volatility to the highest level we've seen since September.
Volatility, though, isn't necessarily a bad thing (even though it's characteristic of down-side moves). And considering the S&P 500's enormous rally, investors shouldn't be terribly surprised by some froth at the top. As I mentioned on Thursday, we're still in a "buy the dips market." Even the 2% decline in stocks in their most recent session doesn't change that.So while most investors suddenly duck and cover, we're looking at five new Rocket Stock names to make the most of this week's price action. >>4 M&A Deal Stocks to Watch in 2014 For the uninitiated, Rocket Stocks are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. In the last 233 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 85.02%. Without further ado, heres a look at this weeks Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV