NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Comic book fans and Time Warner
(TWX) shareholders were disappointed to hear that the blockbuster movie Batman vs. Superman was pushed back a year. The movie, which will bring the two legendary comic book characters to the big screen together, will now be released May 6, 2016.
But comic fans may not be totally disappointed. On May 6, 2016, theaters will pit Disney's (DIS) Marvel unit against Time Warner's DC Comics division. They will both release films on the same day.
Fans should be elated. It's a battle of the Titans.
Despite the rumors that the delay is due to behind-schedule shooting, Batman vs. Superman is currently underway. Warner Brothers says that the movie was pushed back to give "the filmmakers time to realize fully their vision, given the complex vision nature of the story." But Time Warner will miss out on a big chunk of potential revenue for 2015 with the delayed release of the blockbuster.
To offset the delay, Time Warner will move up Pan, its take on the classic Peter Pan story. But Peter and and the Lost Boys will have some unwelcome company -- and not Captain Hook this time. After Time Warner postponed Batman vs. Superman, Disney announced that it was moving up Marvel's Ant-Man by two weeks to capitalize on a longer summer release window. That move will likely hurt Time Warner and Pan significantly.
Disney will win this 2015 comic book battle royale with the release of Ant-Man and Avengers: Age of Ultron. However, things may be different in 2016. Time Warner's DC Comics unit could be creating the start of a huge movie franchise with their Batman and Superman pairing. That could pave the way for an Avengers-like Justice League movie.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV