NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Stanley Black & Decker (SWK - Get Report) exceeded expectations across the board in its December-ended fourth quarter and full year and management reiterated solid guidance for fiscal 2014.
The maker of do-it-yourself and industrial power tools and products reported fourth-quarter revenues 9% higher than the year-ago quarter to $2.9 billion, boosted by 4% organic growth. The company recorded net income of $1.32 a share.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had anticipated quarterly earnings of $1.30 a share on $2.87 billion in revenue.
By segment, fourth-quarter net sales in construction and DIY (CDIY) increased 6% and industrial jumped 27%, while security decreased 2% due to a 4% drop in volume.Over fiscal 2013, the New Britain, Conn.-based business reported full-year revenue of $11 billion, 8% higher than 2012 with organic growth of 3%. Full-year earnings of $4.98 beat consensus by 2 cents. "During 2013 we made significant progress driving organic growth throughout the organization and the fourth quarter was no exception as the momentum continued from our organic growth initiatives. CDIY and Industrial delivered strong top and bottom line growth in spite of forex headwinds and ongoing challenging global market conditions," said CEO John F. Lundgren in a statement. Chief operating officer James M. Loree added, "As we look forward in 2014, we have strong momentum in about 80% of the portfolio. In Security, the remaining 20%, we have taken cost and other actions to effect a turnaround. We have already seen benefits in Security North America and Europe will gradually improve throughout the year." Management expects 2014 earnings between $5.30 and $5.50 a share with organic growth around 4%. Analysts currently anticipate 2014 net income of $5.42 a share. TheStreet Ratings team rates STANLEY BLACK & DECKER INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate STANLEY BLACK & DECKER INC (SWK) a BUY. This is driven by multiple strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, reasonable valuation levels, compelling growth in net income, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and impressive record of earnings per share growth. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SWK Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts