For that, Home Depot and Lowe's will benefit. At $79.36 billion in sales, Home Depot is the largest home improvement retailer in the United States. Lowe's has $50.80 billion in sales.
The comeback in the American housing market has resulted in very bullish trends for both Home Depot and Lowe's.
Over the past five years, sales growth was off by 0.70% for Home Depot. On a quarterly basis, it is now up by 7.40%. Sales growth for Lowe's is now rising at a 7.30% quarterly basis. For the past half decade, there was just a 0.90% increase.
That has resulted in the analyst community being bullish about the future for Home Depot and Lowe's, but not so much for DR Horton and Beazer Homes.Earnings-per-share growth over the next five years is expected to increase by 17.27% for Home Depot. For Lowe's, it is projected to rise 17.88% for that same period.
For DR Horton, Wall Street is looking for a decline of 0.39% in earnings-per-share growth during that time segment. Only a 4% jump in earnings-per-share growth is estimated in the half decade ahead for Beazer Homes. Even if the experts are wrong and real estate sales remain strong, Home Depot and Lowe's will still do well. All homes require maintenance and upkeep. Remodeling will continue. A healthy real estate market will result in a robust Lowe's and Home Depot, as it has in the recovery from the Great Recession. For investors, Home Depot and Lowe's should allow for gains no matter if the increase in real estate activities is in more remodeling work or in greater residential sales. At the time of publication, the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV