By mid-afternoon, stock volume already had surpassed 80 million shares compared with average daily volume of 26.02 million shares. The stock opened at $7.37, hit a low of $7.35 and then soared to a high by midday of $9.83, its highest total in more than three months.
The Daily Mail reported Thursday that multiple industry majors have been circling Ariad since the Food and Drug Administration green-lit Ariad's Ponatinib, a leukemia treatment. The report cited rumors that three international pharma groups, including Eli Lilly (LLY), have made "friendly approaches" to Ariad and are prepared to offer as much as $20 a share to gain control. Other companies mentioned in the report include GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) and Shire.
Ariad recently announced that Ponatinib is commercially available to adult patients with refractory chronic myeloid leukemia.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV