3 Hold-Rated Dividend Stocks: DRE, RGC, ARCP
While plenty of high-yield opportunities exist, investors must always consider the safety of their dividend and the total return potential of their investment. It is not uncommon for a struggling company to suspend high-yielding dividends and subsequently result in precipitous share price declines.
TheStreet Ratings' stock rating model views dividends favorably, but not so much that other factors are disregarded. Our model gauges the relationship between risk and reward in several ways, including: the pricing drawdown as compared to potential profit volatility, i.e. how much one is willing to risk in order to earn profits?; the level of acceptable volatility for highly performing stocks; the current valuation as compared to projected earnings growth; and the financial strength of the underlying company as compared to its stock's valuation as compared to its stock's performance.
These and many more derived observations are then combined, ranked, weighted, and scenario-tested to create a more complete analysis. The result is a systematic and disciplined method of selecting stocks. As always, stock ratings should not be treated as gospel — rather, use them as a starting point for your own research.
The following pages contain our analysis of 3 stocks with substantial yields, that ultimately, we have rated "Hold." Duke Realty (NYSE: DRE) shares currently have a dividend yield of 4.50%. Duke Realty Corporation operates as a real estate investment trust (REIT) in the United States. It offers leasing, property and asset management, development, construction, build-to-suit, and other tenant-related services. The average volume for Duke Realty has been 2,456,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Duke Realty has a market cap of $4.9 billion and is part of the real estate industry. Shares are down 0.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Thursday. TheStreet Ratings rates Duke Realty as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its compelling growth in net income, good cash flow from operations and impressive record of earnings per share growth. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the company's profit margins have been poor overall. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry. The net income increased by 107.5% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from -$17.15 million to $1.29 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 95.41% to $119.38 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, DUKE REALTY CORP has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 8.60%.
- DUKE REALTY CORP reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, DUKE REALTY CORP reported poor results of -$0.51 versus -$0.27 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.21 versus -$0.51).
- In its most recent trading session, DRE has closed at a price level that was not very different from its closing price of one year earlier. This is probably due to its weak earnings growth as well as other mixed factors. Despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year, there is currently no conclusive evidence that warrants the purchase or sale of this stock.
- The gross profit margin for DUKE REALTY CORP is currently extremely low, coming in at 14.47%. Regardless of DRE's low profit margin, it has managed to increase from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, DRE's net profit margin of 0.44% is significantly lower than the industry average.
- You can view the full Duke Realty Ratings Report.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts