NEW YORK (TheStreet) - "If I had to choose one word to describe my Swiftwick socks, it would be unbelievable. I wear them day in and day out as well as for training and racing, and they don't break down. They stay put on my leg, even the tricky mid length 7". Wash after wash I keep expecting to find holes or tattered edges but no, these socks hold up! Forget about the lifetime warranty, I'm not sure I'll ever have to use it. Thanks Swiftwick!" - Trapper Steinle
Whether it's on Facebook (FB), through Twitter (TWTR) hashtags or even article comments like the one above, it's easy to see why Swiftwick socks is the performance sock of choice for serious and professional athletes.
The secret for this growing Brentwood, Tenn.-based manufacturer is first and foremost the quality of product that's creating a fanatical fan base. However, there's more to the story.
Not unlike other small-business success stories, Swiftwick has a passionate entrepreneur steering the company. Entrepreneur Mark Cleveland, CEO and co-founder of Elicit Brands, bought the Swiftwick brand and design rights in 2008.
The 25-employee company operates within a tight niche, with little interest in expanding into lower priced, mass-merchandised products that would distract the company from focusing on its target customer even if it did add to revenue. Swiftwick also knows that serious athletes like to shop in specialized stores as opposed to big-box retailers like Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS) or Sports Authority. The company is methodically expanding in the retail space to only those stores.
|Swiftwick CEO Mark Cleveland is looking to change the sock industry with performance-specific socks.|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV