Wait -- you said free?
Yes, free. Let me explain.
Let's start with the nominal price of an electric car. If you are looking for a commuter car, you might be interested in the all-electric Chevrolet (GM),Spark, which at 400 lb.ft. of torque is more powerful than a Ferrari 458. It has an EPA-certified range of over 80 miles. Considering that the average American has a commute of 12 miles, and that 80% of Americans are below 40 miles, it handily covers the daily commutes of most people.
The price of the electric Chevy Spark is approximately $28,000. It doesn't have a lot of options.
Now for the subtractions from that starting price:
First, you may be eligible for a Federal tax credit of up to $7,500. If you make anywhere near $100,000 per year, you are likely eligible for this. Most tech workers in Silicon Valley therefore qualify.
Now you're down to $20,500.
Second, the state of California gives you a $2,500 rebate in exchange for you driving alone in the carpool lane during rush hours.
Now you're down to $18,000.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV