Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Intuitive Surgical (ISRG) as a post-market laggard candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Intuitive Surgical as such a stock due to the following factors:
- ISRG has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $368.8 million.
- ISRG is down 6.6% today from today's close.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in ISRG with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for ISRG NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on ISRG: Intuitive Surgical, Inc. designs, manufactures, and markets da Vinci surgical systems, and related instruments and accessories. ISRG has a PE ratio of 26.3. Currently there are 8 analysts that rate Intuitive Surgical a buy, 4 analysts rate it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold.The average volume for Intuitive Surgical has been 480,200 shares per day over the past 30 days. Intuitive Surgical has a market cap of $16.7 billion and is part of the health care sector and health services industry. The stock has a beta of 0.63 and a short float of 5.4% with 2.40 days to cover. Shares are up 14.3% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Intuitive Surgical as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures, notable return on equity and expanding profit margins. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself and weak operating cash flow.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- ISRG has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Along with this, the company maintains a quick ratio of 4.07, which clearly demonstrates the ability to cover short-term cash needs.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry and the overall market, INTUITIVE SURGICAL INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- INTUITIVE SURGICAL INC's earnings per share declined by 10.5% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, INTUITIVE SURGICAL INC increased its bottom line by earning $15.96 versus $12.30 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($16.21 versus $15.96).
- Reflecting the weaknesses we have cited, including the decline in the company's earnings per share, ISRG has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 16.88% from its price level of one year ago. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- Net operating cash flow has declined marginally to $203.80 million or 4.76% when compared to the same quarter last year. Despite a decrease in cash flow INTUITIVE SURGICAL INC is still fairing well by exceeding its industry average cash flow growth rate of -44.26%.
- You can view the full Intuitive Surgical Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Latest Headlines about ISRG
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV