Covidien plc. (NYSE: COV) does not infringe certain patents held by Ethicon Endo-Surgery, Inc., a Johnson & Johnson company, according to a summary judgment ruling issued by the U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio. As a result of this ruling, the Ethicon patent infringement action is dismissed and Covidien remains free to continue selling its Sonicision™ cordless ultrasonic dissection system.
Ethicon sued Covidien in December 2011, claiming that Covidien’s award-winning Sonicision system infringed a number of Ethicon patents. In a Jan. 22 ruling, the Court found that Covidien does not infringe any of the seven Ethicon patents in dispute, and also ruled that five of Ethicon’s patents are invalid.
“The Court recognized that Covidien’s Sonicision system is differentiated from the devices and intellectual property of our competitor,” said Chris Barry, president, Advanced Surgical, Covidien. “As we demonstrated in this case, we will vigorously protect our innovative products, solutions and intellectual property.”
ABOUT COVIDIENCovidien is a leading global healthcare products company that creates innovative medical solutions for better patient outcomes and delivers value through clinical leadership and excellence. Covidien develops, manufactures and sells a diverse range of industry-leading medical device and supply products. With 2013 revenue of $10.2 billion, Covidien has more than 38,000 employees worldwide in more than 70 countries, and its products are sold in over 150 countries. Please visit www.covidien.com to learn more about our business.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV