Procter & Gamble
This conglomerate has tried its hardest to make its offbeat Old Spice ads as bro-tastic as possible and establish itself as the official deodorant of the NFL.
Yet, for the second straight year, P&G is taking fire from a competitor that smells remarkably like a junior high locker room after gym class.Axe is back, and parent company Unilever is spending another $4 million to follow up last year's debut. In 2013, its Axe Apollo ad offered 23 seats aboard a private spacecraft. This year, Axe went surprisingly sober and adult with its message, unveiling a 60-second version of an ad for its new Axe Peace promoting love and peace over war and conflict. Given the Axe brand's history to date, this could have been incredibly trite and sophomoric. Instead, it's a cogent, well-expressed message that nominally mentions the product it's promoting. P&G, meanwhile, has responded with absolute silence. Given the circumstances, that's probably for the best. Old Spice Man has no answers for such a serious statement. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV