Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Blackstone Mortgage (BXMT) as a "barbarian at the gate" (strong stocks crossing above resistance with today's range greater than 200%) candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Blackstone Mortgage as such a stock due to the following factors:
- BXMT has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $24.6 million.
- BXMT has traded 198,509 shares today.
- BXMT traded in a range 211.9% of the normal price range with a price range of $0.80.
- BXMT traded above its daily resistance level (quality: 36 days, meaning that the stock is crossing a resistance level set by the last 36 calendar days. The resistance price is defined by the Price - $0.01 at the time of the signal).
Stocks matching the 'Barbarian at the Gate' criteria are worthwhile stocks to watch for a variety of factors including historical back testing and volatility. Trade-Ideas targets these opportunities because the stock is exhibiting an unusual behavior while displaying positive price action. In this case, the stock crossed an important inflection point; namely, 'resistance' while at the same time the range of the stock's movement in price is more than twice its normal size. This large range foreshadows a possible continuation as the stock moves higher.EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in BXMT with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for BXMT NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on BXMT: Blackstone Mortgage Trust, Inc., a real estate finance company, primarily focuses on originating mortgage loans backed by commercial real estate assets. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 6.4%. BXMT has a PE ratio of 0.7. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Blackstone Mortgage a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 1 rates it a hold.The average volume for Blackstone Mortgage has been 409,400 shares per day over the past 30 days. Blackstone has a market cap of $1.1 billion and is part of the financial sector and real estate industry. The stock has a beta of 2.85 and a short float of 112.6% with 2.53 days to cover. Shares are up 2.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Wednesday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Blackstone Mortgage as a hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its notable return on equity, revenue growth and good cash flow from operations. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the growth in the company's earnings per share has not been good.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Compared to other companies in the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry and the overall market, BLACKSTONE MORTGAGE TR INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- BXMT's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 9.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 156.3%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs) industry average. The net income increased by 18.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $7.00 million to $8.32 million.
- The gross profit margin for BLACKSTONE MORTGAGE TR INC is currently very high, coming in at 75.35%. Regardless of BXMT's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, BXMT's net profit margin of 44.12% significantly outperformed against the industry.
- BLACKSTONE MORTGAGE TR INC has experienced a steep decline in earnings per share in the most recent quarter in comparison to its performance from the same quarter a year ago. Earnings per share have declined over the last year. We anticipate that this should continue in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, BLACKSTONE MORTGAGE TR INC reported lower earnings of $73.00 versus $111.60 in the prior year. For the next year, the market is expecting a contraction of 98.7% in earnings ($0.98 versus $73.00).
- You can view the full Blackstone Mortgage Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Latest Headlines about BXMT
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV