NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- U.S. equities took a beating on Friday, with the S&P 500 finishing lower by over 2%.
On CNBC's "Fast Money" TV show, Brian Kelly, founder of Brian Kelly Capital, said it's too early to tell if this is the start of a big correction. He added that continued political and financial issues in Argentina could lead to higher oil prices.
Steve Grasso, director of institutional sales at Stuart Frankel & Company, said the S&P 500 may decline to the 100-day moving average of 1,762. He added the recent selloff is unlikely the start of a 10% correction.
Tim Seymour, managing partner at Triogem Asset Management, said many emerging market issues simply do not matter because economically they are too small. He argued the macro economic data remain strong.Josh Brown, co-founder and CEO of Ritholtz Wealth Management, agreed with Seymour about the macro economy. He added the market rally has been all about sentiment and a 10% correction is possible, which would put the S&P 500 at 1,665. Guest Bill Fleckenstein, famed short-seller and president of Fleckenstein Capital, agreed it's too early to tell if this is the start of a bigger pullback but thinks it is unlikely the start of the really big pullback. He added that the Federal Reserve could take tapering off the table if things got bad enough. He said "high-flying tech" stocks are the most at risk of a severe decline because of the overvaluation. Grasso said it would be a bad thing if the Fed reversed its tapering decision because it would create volatility in the market once again. For his emerging markets play he is a buyer of the Mexican peso and oil companies, such as Halliburton (HAL) and Key Energy Services (KEY), that operate in the area.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV