Another solution is to lease the franchise to another party to free up recourses. Just because Zynga's management can't find a solution doesn't necessarily mean another doesn't have ideas they are willing to attempt.
Another troubling aspect of the game closure is the contempt shown to users, especially VIP subscription users. The game is about four years old and has brought in millions of dollars in revenue. Three months is a remarkably short notification window, and other sites including Yahoo! (YHOO).
Zynga has a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to become the No. 1 real-money poker site, but if YoVille is an indication of the company's customer service commitment, I may have to reconsider my bullish outlook.
At the time of publication, Weinstein was long Zynga.Follow @RobertWeinstein This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV