The Pantry, Inc. (NASDAQ:PTRY), a leading independently operated convenience store chain in the southeastern U.S., today confirmed that JCP Investment Management, LLC, and Lone Star Value Management, LLC (“the dissident group”) submitted to the Company a notice of intent to nominate director candidates to stand for election to The Pantry’s Board of Directors at the Company's 2014 Annual Meeting of Stockholders.
After discussions between the Company (management and selected directors) and the dissident group, the Company’s Corporate Governance and Nominating Committee reviewed several individuals put forward by the dissident group and determined that they should not be nominated by The Pantry to serve on the Company’s Board of Directors.
The Pantry issued the following statement:
“The Pantry’s Board of Directors and management team are committed to acting in the best interests of the Company and all stockholders. We seek to maintain an open dialogue with stockholders and have spoken with representatives of the dissident group on several occasions to understand their thoughts.After carefully evaluating several individuals put forward by the dissident group, we have determined that they do not possess the particular experience and expertise that the Company is seeking in director candidates at this time. Our Board is currently composed of 10 highly qualified directors, nine of whom are independent, who together possess significant retail, convenience store, consumer packaged goods, foodservice and financial experience that is highly relevant and critical to our business. Beginning in March 2012, the Board put in place a new leadership team that it believes possesses the skills and experience to improve the Company’s performance and unlock the potential of The Pantry’s powerful convenience store platform. Since that time, the Board and management team have been executing against the key pillars of The Pantry’s strategy, which include:
- Increasing same-store sales by enhancing merchandise mix and effectiveness;
- Investing in technology to support fuel pricing optimization;
- Prudently managing expenses and reducing debt;
- Accelerating its store remodeling program, enhancing proprietary foodservice and adding quick-service restaurants in existing stores; and
- Utilizing new store opportunities and selective acquisitions to prioritize markets, further accelerate growth and build stockholder value.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV