NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- It wasn't long ago that the U.S. was very dependent upon imported oil. Things change. Now the U.S. is expected to be energy independent by 2020 and potentially become the largest producer of oil and natural gas on the globe.
It's old news that hydraulic fracturing in horizontal wells ("fracking") has opened up oil and gas extraction from shale here in North America. The technology to pull gas from unheard-of places is the reason for the boom, the abundance and the low prices for natural gas.
If investors are interested in oil and gas exploration and production in the U.S., the best companies to look at are producers that have a low overhead and can make money even when gas prices are as low as they are now. Cabot Oil & Gas (COG) is one of those companies, but it takes long-term vision to see the potential.
The Marcellus Shale region of Pennsylvania is where the company will grow.Cabot's bread and butter revenue comes from its 200,000 net acres in the Marcellus Shale. Not only does it account for 79% of the company's reserves, but also over 80% of its net production. In 2008 Cabot extracted only 20 million cubic feet of natural gas per day. It has grown to 1.2 billion cubic feet per day in 2013 with a mere 226 horizontal wells. This proves the company's efficiency. Cabot brought in a sixth rig last year and plans to drill an additional 100 wells. This is where the company is going to grow and where it has poured over 60% of its development capital.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV