These Balanced Mutual Funds Stay Afloat Even When Bonds Sink
In the turmoil of 2008, high-yield bonds and convertibles were crushed as investors dumped risky assets and shifted to the security of high-grade bonds. The Delaware managers scooped up depressed assets, putting half the portfolio in high-yield bonds and convertibles. As the securities rebounded, the managers trimmed their positions. The fund currently has 29% of assets in convertibles and high yield. Most of the rest of the assets are in dividend-paying stocks and cash.
In its fixed-income portfolio, Sentinel Balanced holds a mix of high-yield and investment-grade bonds. To protect the portfolio from rising rates in 2013, the fund managers kept 14% of assets in cash, which pays skimpy yields but holds it value. In addition, Sentinel used Treasury futures and other derivatives. By selling the futures short, the fund can produce profits when Treasuries fall. During the past five years, Sentinel returned 14.0% annually, outdoing 62% of peers.
Portfolio manager Jason Doiron says that interest rates could continue rising as the Federal Reserve tapers its stimulus program.
"To navigate the bond markets going forward, it will be prudent to use derivatives," Doiron says.
At the time of publication, Luxenberg had no positions in funds mentioned.
This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV