BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- It's cold on Wall Street this month, both literally and figuratively. Lows are reaching single digits in the Northeast as I write today, but the S&P 500 is positively sub-zero three full weeks into 2014.
At last count, the big index is down around 0.24%. Even though equities aren't quite hemorrhaging points this winter, they are giving investors the cold shoulder. And that's precisely why it makes sense to focus on strength as we head into the final trading week of January.
To do that, we're turning to the charts to take a closer look at the technical trading setups in five of Wall Street's biggest names.If you're new to technical analysis, here's the executive summary. Technicals are a study of the market itself. Since the market is ultimately the only mechanism that determines a stock's price, technical analysis is a valuable tool even in the roughest of trading conditions. Technical charts are used every day by proprietary trading floors, Wall Street's biggest financial firms, and individual investors to get an edge on the market. And research shows that skilled technical traders can bank gains as much as 90% of the time. >>5 Sin Stocks to Play for Defense in 2014 Every week, I take an in-depth look at big names that are telling important technical stories. Here's this week's look at five high-volume stocks to trade this week.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV