J.B. Hunt Transport Services, Inc., (NASDAQ:JBHT) announced record fourth quarter 2013 net earnings of $92 million, or diluted earnings per share of 77 cents vs. fourth quarter 2012 net earnings of $84 million, or 70 cents per diluted share.
Total operating revenue for the current quarter was $1.47 billion, compared with $1.34 billion for the fourth quarter 2012. Load growth of 13% in Intermodal (JBI) helped drive an 11% increase in segment revenue. Dedicated Contract Services (DCS) segment revenue increased by 17%, primarily from the addition of new customer accounts. Integrated Capacity Solutions (ICS) segment revenue increased by 13%, mostly from a higher load count and an increase in revenue per load. Truck (JBT) segment revenue decreased 19%, primarily from an 11% reduction in fleet size compared to a year ago. Current quarter total operating revenue, excluding fuel surcharges, increased 13% vs. the comparable quarter 2012.
Operating income for the current quarter increased to $153.5 million vs. $143.3 million for the fourth quarter 2012. The increase primarily reflects higher revenue on greater load volumes and improved network balance in JBI. These improvements were partially offset by increased costs paid to hire and retain drivers; higher workers’ compensation and accident costs; increased costs to third party carriers, fewer gains on equipment sales and lower truck utilization.
Net earnings rose 9% to $92 million in the current quarter from $84 million in 2012, primarily due to the growth in revenue and a lower cost of borrowing. Compared with the same period 2012, net interest expense in the current quarter was down approximately $500,000 on a higher average debt balance due to a reduction in our average interest rate. The annual and fourth quarter effective tax rates in 2013 were 38.15% and 38.23%. The annual and fourth quarter effective tax rates in 2012 were 38.5% and 39.16%, respectively.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV