BankUnited, Inc. (the “Company”) (NYSE: BKU) today announced financial results for the quarter and year ended December 31, 2013.
For the quarter ended December 31, 2013, the Company reported net income of $52.4 million, or $0.50 per diluted share, as compared to $62.5 million, or $0.61 per diluted share, for the quarter ended December 31, 2012.
For the year ended December 31, 2013, the Company reported net income of $208.9 million, or $2.01 per diluted share, generating a return on average stockholders’ equity of 11.16% and a return on average assets of 1.55%. The Company reported net income of $211.3 million, or $2.05 per diluted share, for the year ended December 31, 2012.
John Kanas, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer, said, “Organic growth continues to drive our Company’s success in all of our markets. We are particularly pleased with the early success of our New York operations and expect this momentum to continue in the future.”Performance Highlights
- New loans grew by $1.3 billion during the fourth quarter of 2013. For the year ended December 31, 2013, new loans increased by $3.9 billion to $7.6 billion.
- Total deposits increased by $684 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2013 to $10.5 billion, with demand deposits totaling $2.8 billion, or 27% of total deposits. For the year ended December 31, 2013, total deposits grew by $2.0 billion.
- The net interest margin, calculated on a tax-equivalent basis, was 5.24% for the quarter ended December 31, 2013 compared to 6.72% for the quarter ended December 31, 2012, and 5.73% compared to 6.05% for the years ended December 31, 2013 and 2012, respectively. The most significant factor impacting this expected trend in the net interest margin was the origination of new loans at yields lower than those on the covered loan portfolio. As discussed further below, the net interest margin for the quarter ended December 31, 2012 also benefited to a greater extent from the inclusion in interest income of proceeds from the sale of ACI loans from a pool that has a carrying value of zero.
- The cost of deposits continues to trend downward. The cost of deposits was 0.63% for the fourth quarter of 2013 as compared to 0.73% for the fourth quarter of 2012 and 0.65% for the year ended December 31, 2013 as compared to 0.81% for the year ended December 31, 2012. Excluding the impact of hedge accounting and accretion of fair value adjustments, the cost of deposits was 0.58% for the quarter ended December 31, 2013.
- Earnings for the quarter ended December 31, 2013 included net securities gains of approximately $2.3 million related to sales of certain securities in response to regulatory changes, as discussed further below. Additionally, earnings for the fourth quarter of 2013 benefited from a reduction in the effective income tax rate resulting from changes in certain state tax positions and apportionment factors.
- Book value and tangible book value per common share grew to $19.09 and $18.41, respectively, at December 31, 2013.
|Tier 1 leverage||12.4%|
|Tier 1 risk-based capital||21.1%|
|Total risk-based capital||21.9%|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV