GM's relationship with the Smithsonian dates to 1954 when the company donated the first mechanical heart pump to the Smithsonian's Museum of American History Division of Science, Medicine and Society. A team of GM scientists and engineers developed the mechanical heart pump that made possible the world's first open heart surgery. Since then, the company has contributed other notable items to the institution, including "Alice," the world's first computer-controlled electric robot.
About the GM FoundationSince its inception in 1976, the GM Foundation has donated hundreds of millions of dollars to American charities, educational organizations and to disaster relief efforts worldwide. The GM Foundation focuses on supporting Education, Health and Human Services, the Environment and Community Development initiatives, mainly in the communities where GM operates. Funding of the GM Foundation comes solely from GM. The last contribution to the GM Foundation was made in 2001. For more information, visit www.gm.com/gmfoundation.
About the MuseumThe National Museum of African American History and Culture was established as a Smithsonian museum by an Act of Congress in 2003. It will be the nation's largest and most comprehensive cultural destination devoted exclusively to showcasing African American life, art, history and culture and the national place for visitors to fully appreciate the broader American story. For more information about the exhibition and the museum, visit the museum's website nmaahc.si.edu.
SOURCE General Motors Foundation
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV