(NASDAQ: HBNC) – Horizon Bancorp today announced its unaudited financial results for the three and twelve-month periods ended December 31, 2013.
SUMMARY AND HIGHLIGHTS:
- Net income of $19.9 million for 2013 surpasses the $19.5 million earned in the prior year and represents the highest annual net income in the Company’s history.
- Fourth quarter 2013 net income declined 20.4% compared to the same period in 2012 to $4.1 million or $.45 diluted earnings per share, with the decline primarily reflecting lower income from residential lending, including mortgage warehousing, as activity slowed during the quarter.
- Net income for the year ending December 31, 2013 rose 1.7% compared to the same period in 2012 to $19.9 million or $2.17 diluted earnings per share.
- On November 13, 2013, Horizon announced the acquisition of SCB Bancorp, Inc. and its wholly-owned subsidiary, Summit Community Bank, headquartered in East Lansing, Michigan. The transaction is expected to be completed in the second quarter of 2014, subject to regulatory and SCB Bancorp’s shareholder approval.
- Net interest income, after provisions for loan losses, for 2013 was $59.5 million compared to $54.7 million for 2012, primarily reflecting commercial loan growth that helped offset lower mortgage warehouse revenue.
- Non-interest income declined 5.2% to $25.9 million for 2013 compared with $27.3 million for 2012, primarily reflecting a decrease in gain on sale of mortgage loans of $5.3 million, partially offset by an increase in service charges on deposit accounts, fees from debit and credit card interchange services and mortgage servicing income.
- The provision for loan losses decreased to $1.9 million for the year ended December 31, 2013 compared to $3.5 million for 2012.
- Non-performing loans decreased to $18.3 million as of December 31, 2013 from $23.8 million as of December 31, 2012, and substandard loans decreased to $34.7 million as of December 31, 2013 from $50.2 million as of December 31, 2012.
- Return on average assets was 0.93% for the fourth quarter of 2013 and 1.13% for the year ended December 31, 2013.
- Return on average common equity was 10.44% for the fourth quarter of 2013 and 12.86% for the year ended December 31, 2013.
- Tangible book value per share increased to $14.98 at December 31, 2013, compared to $14.82 and $14.23 at September 30, 2013 and December 31, 2012, respectively.
- Horizon Bank’s capital ratios, including Tier 1 Capital to Average Assets Ratio of 9.25% and Total Capital to Risk Weighted Assets Ratio of 14.38% as of December 31, 2013, continue to be well above the regulatory standards for well-capitalized banks.
Craig M. Dwight, Chairman and CEO, commented: “We are extremely pleased to announce record 2013 earnings for the 14 th consecutive year. This feat was accomplished despite a significant slowdown in residential mortgage activity during the second half of 2013. Our balanced approach of focusing on all four core banking revenue sources- business banking, retail banking, residential mortgage lending and investment management- proved invaluable to achieving these record results and will continue to be a critical component of our future success.”
“Throughout 2013, we continued to operate in a sluggish economy with highly competitive dynamics for quality asset growth. Given the environment, we aggressively sought ways to maximize growth opportunities while remaining disciplined and vigilant in our approach. By investing in good people, entering new markets and seeking strategic partnerships we continued to lay the foundation for future success while attaining record financial performance in the process.”