NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With only 3% gains in 2013, industrial earth-moving giant Caterpillar (CAT) was somewhat punished for the tough conditions that existed in the mining and construction industry. Despite analysts' optimism that commercial construction would be "earth-shattering," things just didn't pickup as quickly as the Street hoped, even with the modest improvements seen in the housing recovery.
As I've mentioned in a recent article discussing Stanley Black & Decker (SWK), the housing-related stocks have not participated in the recovery as much as analysts had predicted. Nevertheless, with 2014 now well under way, investors have already begun making moves to position themselves for another expected recovery, this time in commercial construction.
The bet is on companies like Caterpillar that are perceived as bulletproof -- able to endure the downturns of cyclical construction. Last year's 3% gains told a different story, however. While I understand the appeal of buying a laggard stock ahead of a possible recovery, it's also important to understand that valuation does matter in this industry.
In the case of Caterpillar, there are also some operational deficits that management must resolve. Not the least of which is the company's persistent struggle with machinery revenue, which led to a 44% decline in profits in the October quarter.It's true the likes of Mohawk Industries (MHK) and Joy Global (JOY) haven't fared any better. Even so, despite the weak 2013 stock performance, investors must reconcile that this stock may not be as cheap as the Street believes, given its underlying battle with fundamentals.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV