TheStreet's Debra Borchardt spoke to Mark Newton, chief market technician at Greywolf Equities, about the sectors that are outperforming a sluggish broader market. He said the materials sector is getting a lift from the gold miners and chemicals.
He added that the miners have been doing well lately, despite gold prices not rising all that much.
Alcoa (AA) and Dow Chemical (DOW) have also helped the sector. The two stocks have been outperforming over the past several trading sessions. However, steel, coal and other commodities have not been much help to the sector.Turning to earnings, Newton said investors are now getting ready for technology companies to start reporting. Apple (AAPL), Google (GOOG) and Facebook (FB) report next week. The next focus will be health care and industrials.
Newton also said the rise in crude oil prices has helped the energy sector to wake up a bit after it appears to have bottomed. He concluded that investors who want to monitor or trade the gold miners can use the Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) and the Materials Select Sector SPDR ETF (XLB) for the materials sector. -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV