St Jude Medical (STJ) Is Today's Unusual Social Activity Stock
- STJ has 15x the normal benchmarked social activity for this time of the day compared to its average of 2.06 mentions/day.
- STJ has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $227.6 million.
Identifying stocks with 'Unusual Social Activity' tends to be a valuable process for traders looking to capitalize on the 'talk of the town' stocks that are basking in far more attention from the StockTwits financial community than normal. Good press? Bad press? It ultimately doesn't matter if it's good or bad if you know how to trade around the sentiment. Certain hedge funds use such data for their proprietary algorithms and it is not uncommon to see shared social sentiment play itself out in a stock's price trend. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in STJ with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for STJ NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on STJ: St. Jude Medical, Inc. develops, manufactures, and distributes cardiovascular and implantable neurostimulation medical devices worldwide. It operates in two divisions, Cardiovascular and Ablation Technologies, and Implantable Electronic Systems. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 1.5%. STJ has a PE ratio of 26.7. Currently there are 11 analysts that rate St Jude Medical a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 10 rate it a hold. The average volume for St Jude Medical has been 2.2 million shares per day over the past 30 days. St Jude Medical has a market cap of $19.2 billion and is part of the health care sector and health services industry. The stock has a beta of 1.54 and a short float of 2.6% with 1.55 days to cover. Shares are up 6.5% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates St Jude Medical as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, notable return on equity, increase in net income and growth in earnings per share. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- STJ's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 3.4%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 0.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 60.71% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 73.28% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, STJ should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry and the overall market, ST JUDE MEDICAL INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Health Care Equipment & Supplies industry. The net income increased by 48.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $176.00 million to $262.00 million.
- ST JUDE MEDICAL INC reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, ST JUDE MEDICAL INC reported lower earnings of $2.40 versus $2.51 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.73 versus $2.40).
- You can view the full St Jude Medical Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.