TORONTO, Jan. 22, 2014 /PRNewswire/ - For the fourth consecutive year, Sun Life Financial Inc. (TSX: SLF) (NYSE: SLF) ("Sun Life Financial") has been named among the Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World (the "Global 100").
Sun Life Financial is one of only 13 Canadian companies across all industry sectors to make the Global 100, and this is the eighth year that Sun Life Financial has appeared on the list. 2014 marks the tenth year of the Global 100 ranking by Corporate Knights.
"At Sun Life, sustainability represents an assurance that we are invested in the future," says Mary De Paoli, Executive Vice-President, Public & Corporate Affairs and Chief Marketing Officer, Sun Life Financial. "We have a proud legacy of nearly 150 years in business, and we want to ensure that we keep advancing our efforts for our customers around the world, helping them achieve lifetime financial security."
"Being recognized on the Global 100 list validates our sustainability efforts," said Philip Gillin, Senior Managing Director and Head of Canadian Property Investments, and Chair of Sun Life Financial's International Sustainability Council. "Integrating sustainability is part of our business initiatives, like our investments in sustainable real estate developments and renewable energy projects; and our ongoing business practices like paperless claims, payments and statements, and wireless services like our mobile app."Some of the ways Sun Life Financial and its subsidiaries support sustainability initiatives are through investments and changes in traditional business operations, including:
- Investing in the development of a sustainable shopping centre with a low environmental impact in British Columbia.
- Financing sustainable energy projects in Toronto, allowing for low-cost and environmentally sound urban heating and cooling solutions.
- Co-financing a series of solar farms in Ontario aimed at delivering power for up to 10,800 homes.
- Paperless practices, like e-claims, e-payments and online statements, are now standard for Sun Life Financial customers. As the first benefits provider in Canada to introduce these standards, these practices have greatly reduced the environmental impact of traditionally paper-heavy aspects of our business. 85% of claims are now electronic. Pay Direct Drug and EDI (Electronic Data Interchange) represent the majority of our e-claims, totalling 35 million claims in 2013. Services like the Sun Life Financial mobile app provide customers a quick and easy way to access their benefits at any time. In 2013, e-claims submitted via website, mobile device, and service provider submission totalled more than 5.2 million.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts