NEW YORK (The Deal) -- China's Fosun Group, the parent company of acquisitive conglomerate Fosun International, announced an agreement Wednesday to forge a China-focused real estate joint venture with Prudential Financial (PRU).
The joint venture plans to invest in mixed-use development projects in growing urban centers in China and also anticipates working on real estate projects outside China. The companies said they would also develop together a range of products, services and educational resources for Chinese individuals and families planning for retirement, though it wasn't clear whether they would do this through the new joint venture.
Fosun and Newark, N.J.-based Prudential, which does business as Pramerica in certain countries outside the United States, have been working together since 2011, when they launched the $600 million Pramerica-Fosun China Opportunity Fund.
They also have a 50/50 life insurance joint venture in Shanghai, and a joint U.S.-based investment fund.(BRK.A) of China, may be stretching itself too thin financially with a planned 1 billion ($1.36 billion) Portuguese acquisition. In that transaction, Fosun International will buy 80% of the insurance arm of Caixa Geral de Depositos SA from the Portuguese state. It beat rival bidder Apollo Global Management LLP in a hotly contested auction earlier this month, but has yet to disclose terms and conditions as well as how it plans to fund the purchase. The funding uncertainty over the Portuguese deal prompted Moody's Investors Service to place Fosun International's ratings under review for a possible downgrade. "The consideration for the transaction exceeds Fosun's cash resources and internally generated cash," warned senior Moody's analyst Lina Choi last week. "We therefore expect that the company will need external funding, dispose some of its investments, or both."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV