NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- TE Connectivity (TEL - Get Report) is trading higher after beating expectations on first-quarter earnings released before market open Wednesday. By late morning, shares had climbed 6.8% to $60.12, and nearly 2.2 million shares had changed hands compared to its three-month daily average trading volume of 1.57 million.
The electrical component maker reported net earnings for the period ended Dec. 27 of 82 cents a share, beating estimates by a nickel according to analysts surveyed by Yahoo! Finance. Revenue of $3.33 billion came in 6.4% higher than the year-ago period and exceeded consensus by $50 million.
"We are encouraged by the continued strength in the global automotive market, improvements in our industrial end markets and increased demand in the fiber portion of the broadband network, all markets in which we have a leadership position," said CEO Tom Lynch in a statement.
For the second quarter, management anticipates net income of between 88 cents and 92 cents a share on sales of $3.4 billion to $3.5 billion. Over fiscal 2014, the company gave net income guidance in the range of $3.65 to $3.85 a share and sales between $13.8 billion and $14.2 billion.
The Board of Directors also announced it had recommended a 16% increase to the quarterly dividend subject to shareholder approval in March.
TheStreet Ratings team rates TE CONNECTIVITY LTD as a Buy with a ratings score of A+. The team has this to say about their recommendation:
"We rate TE CONNECTIVITY LTD (TEL) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, solid stock price performance, notable return on equity, expanding profit margins and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- TEL's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 0.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 2.0%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- Compared to its closing price of one year ago, TEL's share price has jumped by 46.18%, exceeding the performance of the broader market during that same time frame. Regarding the stock's future course, although almost any stock can fall in a broad market decline, TEL should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed a very nice gain in the past year.
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Electronic Equipment, Instruments & Components industry and the overall market, TE CONNECTIVITY LTD's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- 38.05% is the gross profit margin for TE CONNECTIVITY LTD which we consider to be strong. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Along with this, the net profit margin of 11.27% is above that of the industry average.
- TE CONNECTIVITY LTD' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, TE CONNECTIVITY LTD increased its bottom line by earning $3.02 versus $2.70 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($3.65 versus $3.02).
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: TEL Ratings Report