The 7 States Most Likely to Legalize Pot Next (UPDATED)
Updated from January 22, 2014 with updated information including a sixth and seventh state.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The times, they are a-changin' for marijuana as long-time prohibition laws risk going up in flames. Colorado has lit one up. Washington has its pipe packed with registered stores expected to open later in the year. And in the rest of the country, grassroots activists fight and campaign, while politicians teeter on whether to relax laws.
According to a recent national survey by Pew Research Center, 75% of Americans believe the sale and use of marijuana will eventually be legal nationwide, a majority opinion even among those who oppose its use.
It's a lucrative move for states to legalize the drug, too. Since Colorado embraced legalization, the state's coffers have been full. Since the beginning of the year, Colorado has generated nearly $13 million from tax and licensing fees on medical and recreational marijuana, more than half of that directly from the latter.Even President Obama has weighed in on the debate of whether or not to legalize. In an interview with The New Yorker earlier this year, Obama supported Colorado and Washington's legalization efforts but stopped short of making any statement on whether it could play out on a federal level. "It's important for it to go forward because it's important for society not to have a situation in which a large portion of people have at one time or another broken the law and only a select few get punished," he told the publication. The dominoes are stacked but which will be the next to fall? TheStreet investigates the seven states likely to next embrace marijuana law reform...
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV