TORONTO, Jan. 22, 2014 /CNW/ - Canadian pension plans posted solid gains in 2013 as global equity markets continued to surge during the fourth quarter, according to the latest survey from RBC Investor & Treasury Services.
Within the $460 billion RBC Investor & Treasury Services All Plan universe - the industry's most comprehensive universe of Canadian pension plans - defined benefit (DB) pension assets returned 6.1 per cent during the three months ending December 31, 2013, bringing annual gains to 14.2 per cent.
"Pensions gained a lot of traction in 2013," said Scott MacDonald, Managing Director, Pensions for RBC Investor & Treasury Services. "Strong equity gains and a weaker Canadian dollar led to an increase in assets, while higher long term bond yields reduced most plan liabilities, which will please sponsors."
Foreign equity was the top performing asset class, rising 11.5 per cent in the fourth quarter while bringing full-year results up 35.8 per cent - ahead of the MSCI World Index by 0.6 per cent. "Currency gains accounted for approximately 20 per cent of the returns, but strength was spread across the majority of developed markets. The U.S. contributed the most, with the S&P 500, up 41.3 per cent, having its best calendar year result in Canadian dollar terms since 1958," added MacDonald.Domestic stocks also helped, advancing 19.4 per cent for the year, but were held back by the materials sector which continued to show weakness in the fourth quarter and subsequently shed close to 30 per cent of its value since the beginning of 2013. "2013 was a really good year for active Canadian equity management," said MacDonald. "Most pensions maintained an underexposure to the sector and consequently outperformed the S&P/TSX Composite Index by 6.4 per cent during the year."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV