MONDOVI, Wis., Jan. 21, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Marten Transport, Ltd. (Nasdaq:MRTN) today reported the highest net income for any year in its history. For the year ended December 31, 2013, net income improved 10.6% to a record $30.1 million, or 90 cents per diluted share, from $27.3 million, or 82 cents per diluted share, in 2012. For the fourth quarter of 2013, net income decreased to $7.3 million, or 22 cents per diluted share, from $7.7 million, or 23 cents per diluted share, in the fourth quarter of 2012.
Operating revenue, consisting of revenue from truckload and logistics operations, decreased slightly to $166.2 million in the fourth quarter of 2013 from $166.4 million in the fourth quarter of 2012, and increased to $659.2 million in 2013 from $638.5 million in 2012. Operating revenue, net of fuel surcharges and MW Logistics, LLC (MWL) revenue, increased 5.6% to $134.5 million in the 2013 quarter from $127.4 million in the 2012 quarter, and increased 7.8% to $524.8 million in 2013 from $486.7 million in 2012. Fuel surcharge revenue decreased to $31.7 million in the fourth quarter of 2013 from $32.2 million in the 2012 quarter, and increased to $127.7 million in 2013 from $121.1 million in 2012. With the March 2013 deconsolidation of MWL, no MWL revenue was included in the fourth quarter of 2013 compared with $6.7 million in the 2012 quarter. MWL revenue included in 2013 decreased by $24.0 million from 2012 with the deconsolidation.
Operating expenses as a percentage of operating revenue, with both amounts net of fuel surcharge revenue, was 90.6% in the fourth quarter of 2013, compared to the 90.2% ratio achieved in the fourth quarter of 2012. The ratio improved to 90.2% in 2013 from 91.1% in 2012. The ratio in 2013 was the Company's best since 2005 and the fourth consecutive year with improved results.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV