NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Trendforce, a market research firm, said smartphone shipments are likely to decline roughly 5.4% in the March quarter. Real Money Pro contributor Chris Versace told TheStreet's Brittany Umar there have been dips in the mobile phone market before, but not so much in the smartphone market.
The decline could suggest the market is be beginning to mature, he said. Pricing, margins and market share will be the key metrics to watch going forward.
This week, Versace is focusing on three corporate earnings reports, starting with Microsoft (MSFT).
Microsoft bought Nokia's (NOK) mobile phone business last year so investors will be listening to management for what it sees as market drivers for smartphones in the next several quarters.Versace also wants to hear from Synaptics (SYNA), a touchscreen technology company. Demand over the next several quarters will likely be an indicator of what sales in the smartphone market will be like.
Finally, Samsung will report later this week. "However Samsung goes, so will the market," he said. Samsung is a huge player in the smartphone market, and if smartphone shipments are indeed going to fall Samsung will surely feel the effect. He concluded that if the smartphone market is maturing, he wants to be in companies that are "increasing their dollar content per device" such as Qualcomm (QCOM) and Skyworks Solutions (SWKS). -- Written by Bret Kenwell in Petoskey, Mich. Follow @BretKenwell
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV