NEW YORK, Jan. 21, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Shutterstock, Inc. (NYSE: SSTK), a leading global provider of commercial digital imagery, has published its third annual global design trends infographic . In the 2014 edition, Shutterstock uses data from over 350 million all-time image downloads to reveal recent and emerging visual trends from around the world. As the volume leader in stock image downloads, Shutterstock licenses 3 images every second from a collection of over 30 million photos, illustrations, vectors and video clips to businesses and visual communicators. Some of the trends outlined in the graphic include:
- No two countries design alike. From pastel colors in China to vibrant textures in the Netherlands, unique themes around the world continue to emerge.
- Flat, minimalist design elements replace skeuomorphism. Led by changes in app and software design, downloads of flat design elements increased by 200% over the past year.
- Instagram-esque images were a top visual theme of the year. With the popularity of retro cameras and mobile apps, searches for filtered images soared 661% in 2013, with no signs of abating.
- Search terms with the largest year-on-year growth include "Gatsby", "3D printing" and "BYOD" ("bring your own device"), with each rising 625%, 583% and 407% respectively
- Video is an increasingly popular medium for visual storytellers and access to new image-capture technology such as 4K is growing. Popular video content topics include education, 3D renderings, transportation and cityscapes.
"The increasing demand for imagery is leading to new and innovative content types," said Shutterstock VP Content Scott Braut. "Our data reveals how photographers, illustrators, designers and videographers are influencing design trends on a local and global scale."
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts