Newfield Exploration Company (NFX) Stock Storming The Castle Today
- NFX has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $76.7 million.
- NFX has traded 105,883 shares today.
- NFX is trading at 1.99 times the normal volume for the stock at this time of day.
- NFX crossed above its 200-day simple moving average.
'Storm the Castle' stocks are worth watching because trading stocks that begin to experience a breakout can lead to potentially massive profits. Once psychological and technical resistance barriers like the 200-day moving average are breached on higher than normal relative volume, the stock is then free to find new buyers and momentum traders who can ultimately push the stock significantly higher. Regardless of the impetus behind the price and volume action, when a stock moves with strength and volume it can indicate the start of a new trend on which early investors can capitalize on. In the event of a well-timed trading opportunity, combining technical indicators with fundamental trends and a disciplined trading methodology should help you take the first steps towards investment success. EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in NFX with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for NFX NOW at Trade-Ideas More details on NFX: Newfield Exploration Company, an independent energy company, engages in the exploration, development, and production of crude oil, natural gas, and natural gas liquids. Its areas of operation include the Mid-Continent, the Rocky Mountains, and onshore Gulf Coast, as well as Malaysia and China. Currently there are 6 analysts that rate Newfield Exploration Company a buy, no analysts rate it a sell, and 8 rate it a hold. The average volume for Newfield Exploration Company has been 2.9 million shares per day over the past 30 days. Newfield has a market cap of $3.4 billion and is part of the basic materials sector and energy industry. The stock has a beta of 1.42 and a short float of 4.2% with 1.66 days to cover. Shares are up 1.9% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Friday. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreetRatings.com Analysis: TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Newfield Exploration Company as a sell. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk, disappointing return on equity and generally disappointing historical performance in the stock itself. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The debt-to-equity ratio of 1.19 is relatively high when compared with the industry average, suggesting a need for better debt level management. Along with this, the company manages to maintain a quick ratio of 0.49, which clearly demonstrates the inability to cover short-term cash needs.
- Return on equity has greatly decreased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of major weakness within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Oil, Gas & Consumable Fuels industry and the overall market, NEWFIELD EXPLORATION CO's return on equity significantly trails that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- NFX has underperformed the S&P 500 Index, declining 11.16% from its price level of one year ago. Turning toward the future, the fact that the stock has come down in price over the past year should not necessarily be interpreted as a negative; it could be one of the factors that may help make the stock attractive down the road. Right now, however, we believe that it is too soon to buy.
- NEWFIELD EXPLORATION CO reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, NEWFIELD EXPLORATION CO swung to a loss, reporting -$10.24 versus $3.99 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.86 versus -$10.24).
- The gross profit margin for NEWFIELD EXPLORATION CO is currently very high, coming in at 74.69%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Regardless of the strong results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 1.44% trails the industry average.
- You can view the full Newfield Exploration Company Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.