- The GAAP combined ratio improved 17.7 points to 87.7% due to lower catastrophe losses (17.8 points) and higher net favorable prior year reserve development (0.4 points), partially offset by lower underlying underwriting margins (0.5 points).
- Net favorable prior year reserve development occurred in all segments. Catastrophe losses primarily resulted from wind and hail storms in the Midwestern United States and Storm Xaver in the United Kingdom.
- The underlying GAAP combined ratio increased 0.5 points to 91.2% as Business Insurance improved while Personal Insurance and Financial, Professional & International Insurance were negatively impacted by higher levels of non-catastrophe weather-related losses and non-weather related property losses.
Net investment income of $562 million after-tax ($702 million pre-tax) increased modestly primarily due to higher private equity and real estate partnership returns in the non-fixed income portfolio, partially offset by lower reinvestment rates in the fixed income portfolio.
On November 1, 2013, the company acquired The Dominion of Canada General Insurance Company (Dominion) for an aggregate purchase price of approximately $1.034 billion.
Net written premiums of $5.633 billion increased 5% primarily due to the inclusion of Dominion within Financial, Professional & International Insurance, as well as higher net written premiums in Business Insurance. These increases were partially offset by lower net written premiums in Personal Insurance.Full Year 2013 Results (All comparisons vs. full year 2012, unless noted otherwise) Net income of $3.673 billion after-tax increased $1.200 billion or 49%, primarily due to higher operating income. Operating income of $3.567 billion increased $1.126 billion, primarily reflecting improved underwriting results driven by lower catastrophe losses, a higher underlying underwriting gain, a $63 million benefit resulting from the resolution of prior year tax matters and a $59 million after-tax ($91 million pre-tax) gain from the settlement of a legal proceeding. These improvements were partially offset by lower net investment income and lower net favorable prior year reserve development.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts