NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- While U.S. markets were closed Monday in observance of the Martin Luther King holiday, one of the largest investing banks in Europe dropped a stink bomb: Deutsche Bank (DB). The bank warned that this year will be tough; it also reported a quarterly loss that was larger than expected. The timing of the release as well as the results gained attention on Monday.
Most of the major news outlets picked up the story, along with the watch dogs of the Twitterverse. There are 500 million tweets a day, says Larry Arnowitz, who described, in March, a tool that uses tweets to trade. That was when Arnowitz was president of Atrium Trading. He's now looking for a job, according to his LinkedIn page. No clue whether the two are related; just observing.
Some people trade the news and will read tweets for trading ideas. Here are five interesting ones:
Based on these tweets and more, Europe, banks, bonds and gold will be in the spotlight on Tuesday. Trade on tweets -- or not -- at your own risk.
2. Constantin Gurdgiev @GTCost says: Will be up 15% on 'bad news=good news' trade soon RT @GoldCore: Deutsche Bank Shares Drop 5% After Quarterly Loss
3. Pedro da Costa@pdacosta: Deutsche Bank loss could be harbinger for other European banks
4. @IrishTimesBiz: Stocks hold steady despite Deutsche Bank slip
5. @GerLibra took time from dangling upside-down, exposing her cleavage, to tweet out this Wall Street Italia story: "Deutsche Bank, buco kolossal .e indagata." Loosely translated: "Deutsche Bank Hole Blockbuster Is Suspected."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV